Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Be That Spark

Source
One of the things I've worked hard to instill in my Kindergartner is how very important it is to treat everyone with kindness. 
Even if they are different 
Even if they are not kind back. 
I want my boys to be the kind ones.
We talk about it frequently and Gentry always looks at me not really saying much. 
Sometimes I wonder if he thinks I've lost it.
Or if his wheels are really turning and soaking 
it all in and processing my words. 
The other day at drop off an older boy and his sister walked in right after us. 
Gentry ran up to the boy and gave him the hugest hug ever.
I could tell the boy felt special. 
The smile on his face was priceless.
It really almost brought tears to my eyes.
I called my sister (who has an older son) 
to ask what grade kids start to notice that some 
kids are different and not as "cool."
Just the thought breaks my heart
but I know it's a reality.
She remembered having conversations about it in first grade. 
(Gosh that seems so so young to me!)
I've decided that even if he thinks I'm 
crazy or weird 
I will not stop reminding him that he was born to be kind.
To be a friend.
To be a witness for Christ.
To make others feel 
special
important
loved.
As his mom, it's the very least I can do.

2 comments:

  1. Those will be some of the most important lessons you can teach your child. As they get older, you will have to remind them, often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful!!
    Love mom.

    ReplyDelete